Fullerton Surgery Center

Dr. Mihir Majmundar


After completing an undergraduate degree at a college or university, future gastroenterologists obtain either a Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) or a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (D.O.) degree upon graduating medical school. Both degrees are licensed in all states, and have the same governing boards and scope of practice.

After graduating from medical school, individuals must first enter a residency in internal medicine or pediatrics, as gastroenterology is a subspecialty of internal medicine or pediatrics. They then proceed with additional training in gastroenterology for further specialization.

In order to practice medicine, gastroenterologists must be licensed by the state in which they practice. Gastroenterologists will also obtain a board certification from the American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM), American Osteopathic Board of Internal Medicine (AOBIM) or the Americn Board of Pediatrics. Board certification shows that the gastroenterologist has met certain standards and passed tests that are developed to assure the public that the physician has been adequately trained in a given specialty.

Please follow and like us:

All Physicians